What is SUTA & What Your Business Needs to Know

SUTA stands for the State Unemployment Tax Act. It's payable by employers and covers eligible employees in case they become unemployed.

Employers pay the money into each individual state's unemployment tax fund. This tax fund is available to employees who lose their jobs.

If you lay off an employee and he benefits from this scheme, he can withdraw from the state's unemployment tax fund.

Today, we're discussing the ins and outs of SUTA, and what you need to know.

Ready to learn more? Let's go!

How to Calculate SUTA Tax

Each state sets its own State Unemployment Tax Tax rate. For the details of your own state's policies and requirements, you'll need to look at their state taxation website.

As an employer, the state will assign you a State Unemployment Tax rate. They'll base it on your 'experience rating'.

An experience rating changes as you come to have more experience in dealing with unemployment.

The way the program is put together encourages employment and rewards steady employers with lower taxes.

As your experience rating changes, your tax rate changes with it.

The way the system is designed, employers with a higher rate of staff turnover, and a higher risk of involuntary unemployment, will have to pay State Unemployment Tax at a higher rate.

Conversely, employers whose involuntary unemployment rate is lower will be able to pay the tax at a lower rate.

Essentially, your